Toasting Tips Your Best Man or Maid of Honor Need To Know
Contributed by: DJ Anthony Salas of Epic Entertainment
Anthony is a 24 year veteran of the wedding industry and is the founder/co-owner of Epic Entertainment and owner of Butlerz Event & Beach Rentals. Between his different companies, he oversees nearly 600 wedding and events every year.
Preparing for your toast
- Write your toast out ahead of time. Trying to write notes and thoughts the day of the wedding can be stressful.
- Use note cards. Don’t try to write it out word-for-word.
- Practice your toast. Practice with a friend, family member or a mirror.
- Be yourself. If you are a serious person, keep the toast serious. If you are a joker, inject some humor, but don’t try to be something that you are not.
- Keep it brief. Try not to exceed 10 minutes.
- Save the hard liquor for after the toast. Drunkenness, and lack of judgement are not pretty at a wedding.
- Keep it “Family-Friendly.” Watch you language. If you share stories, make sure it’s something that you would gladly share with your own grandmother.
Ideas For Your Toast
- Relationship. How did you meet the bride and/or groom?
- Childhood stories. Did you grow up together as children? What did you do together?
- Friendship. What does their friendship mean to you?
- How they met. Were you there? Were you involved? What were your thoughts when they first met?
- Watching them grow and develop. Could you tell when they were falling in love? When? How?
- Words of wisdom. What can you share to help them have a long, lasting relationship?
- Quotes. If you know of any quotes, poems or lyrics that describe the couple, use it. But don’t over-do it.
- Always end on a positive note. If you tell a funny story, close with something sentimental and a reason you know that the bride and groom are perfect for each other.
Delivering Your Toast
- Use your notes. Don’t read word-for-word, but have your outline with you.
- Hold the microphone 1 inch away from your chin. It won’t pick up your voice when it’s held near your stomach.
- Speak clearly.
- End by asking everyone to raise their glasses and toast the happy couple.
Follow DJ Anthony Salas and his companies on social media by using the following handles:
Personal Facebook: @EpicEntSLO
Personal Instagram: @AnthonySalasJr
Epic Entertainment Facebook: @EpicEntertainmentSLO
Butlerz Event & Beach Rentals Facebook: @BeachButlerz
Butlerz Event & Beach Rentals Instagram: @BeachButlerz
E-Mail Anthony Salas directly: Anthony@EpicEntertainmentSLO.com